In the later 1800s, gas lighting began to be used in some centres, but electricity didn’t appear until the early 1900s. By the time of World War I, locally generated electricity was widespread.
These days the whole country is lit up at night, but some homes still have inadequate, and probably dangerous, old electrical cabling. The earliest wiring was within cloth-wrapped, vulcanised India rubber (VIR), within half inch (12.5mm) metal conduit behind internal linings. All this old wiring gradually deteriorated as the rubber perished and became brittle and unsafe.
In the 1950s tough rubber-sheathed (TRS) wiring was introduced. However, this also gradually deteriorated. Rewiring usually involves the complete removal of all old TIS and VIR cables, old steel conduit, and replacing with new TPS cables.
Homes with older cabling are likely to also have out-of-date meter and distribution boards – with bakelite fittings and surface – mounted ceramic fuses. In many cases, meters will be on the switchboard. If your home still has old rubber, PVC or TRS cabling, it’s likely to be a danger for your family. Likewise with the old style switchboards, so for your family’s safety you should get in touch with the team at First Point Electrical, to replace your cabling and/or upgrade your switchboard.